Education Cabinet Secretary Prof. George Magoha announce new education protocol and official reopening dates.
While addressing the media on Monday 16, November 2020, education CS George Magoha gave directions to be followed while reopening schools.
“The government is determined to safe reopening of learning institutions. We are drawing lessons from the partial reopening that has taken place since October.” Said Magoha
The following are the new schools reopening protocols and official reopening dates;
- Full resumption of all learners to begin on 4th January 2021
- All 4-year-olds will join PP1 in July 2021
- Pre-Primary 1 and 2, Grade 1, 2, 3, Class 5, 6, 7 and Form 1, 2, 3 will start the second term on the 4th of January to the 19th of March together with grade 4 candidates
- All learners except class 8 and form 4 candidates will proceed for a 7 week holiday to allow KCPE and KCSE administration and marking.
- Grade 4 and incoming form 1s will stay at home as other learners complete their third term.
- Grade 4 CBC learners will transition to grade 5 in July 2021
- International schools will open on January 4th, 2021 for all their learners
He further said that all other details concerning schools including the national exam timetables will be provided. The Ministry is also hopeful and confident that they will remain in the right trajectory for finding a winning formula that will ensure learning institutions are safe for both learners and teachers.
Teachers Service Commission (TSC) CEO Dr. Nancy Macharia said that teachers are frontline soldiers in education, Covid-19 guidelines should be part of our children’s DNA.
TSC sent a sign of relief to teachers with underlying conditions and those aged 58 and above by giving them a go-ahead to work from home, the commission says that they will not be dismissed. Teachers will be covered for Covid-19 related issues.
The commission also outlined that the school term has been adjusted to ensure the syllabus is covered ahead of national exams.