Inspector General of Police Japheth Koome has confirmed the downgrading of former President Uhuru Kenyatta’s security detail.
Speaking at Moi International Airport in Mombasa on Friday, Koome stated that the head of Uhuru’s security team had been recalled and replaced with an officer of a lower rank.
“I have recalled that officer to be given command responsibilities commensurate with his rank,” he said.
The Inspector General dismissed any claims that the decision was politically motivated.
“There is no politics in this. And the Inspector General will not accept to be dragged into politics,” stated Koome.
On Thursday, a source told Nation, the number of officers assigned to the former president has been reduced from 96 to 25, with security personnel attached to other family members also withdrawn.
Koome confirmed changes in the security of former cabinet secretaries but did not mention any names.
It has been reported that former Interior Minister Fred Matiang’i and former Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho’s security details have also been affected, although it is unclear if the entire security detail has been withdrawn.
“Do you give a retired Cabinet Secretary the same security as the one in office who must be in the office by 6am?” asked Koome.
The Presidential Benefits Act states that retired president is entitled to six security guards and adequate security at their urban and rural residences, which will be approved by the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration.
However, the law was amended in 2013 to remove the upper limit, providing that the deployment of security personnel would be as certified by the minister responsible for national security in consultation with the retired president.