The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) now says former Interior Cabinet secretary Fred Matiangi stage-managed a siege at his home.
DCI boss Amin Mohamed rubbished claims of the raid at Matiangi’s home saying no officers were deployed to find or arrest the ex-interior CS at his residence or anywhere else.
The DCI boss confirmed Thursday that the probe on the cases against Matiangi is still ongoing but the former security minister is yet to be summoned.
“I can confirm that none of the cases under investigation so far have reached the stage, which requires the assistance or attendance of Dr. Matiangi,” he said.
Amin stated that the agency treats the allegations of a raid into the home of Matiangi serious and has conducted an initial investigation into the matter.
He said that their investigations revealed that, activity began building up at Matiangi’s home on Wednesday, at 8pm.
According to Mohamed, Matiangi had initially informed his guards that he was expecting guests, who were lawyers, and instructed them to grant access to his home upon their arrival.
The lawyers arrived shortly after and proceeded to a meeting inside the house. They were joined shortly afterwards by politicians led by former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
After another few minutes, the DCI said the lawyers drove off in three vehicles, leaving three other cars in the compound.
As they left, they informed the guards that they were going to address the press.
“At around 9.30pm, Mr Odinga and team left the home to go and join the lawyers in the Press Conference. Dr. Matiang’i then informed the guards that police would be arriving accompanied by the media to arrest him, and instructed them to allow the police access to the home but to lock out the media,” he said.
He went on to state that thereafter, a communication team attached to Odinga, then alerted newsrooms that the former CS’s home was surrounded by an elite squad of police.
He added that the Media, without question reported the news as a fact and accused them of being wrapped into what he described well calculated disinformation campaign.
“The DCI confirms that this was a deliberate and malicious attempt to spread false information and incite fear, and is nothing more than the highest form of fake news,” he said.
Mohamed said that the DCI will continue to conduct its investigation into the matter and will soon announce the next steps in the proceedings.