Embattled former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has been discharged from Nairobi Hospital where he had been receiving treatment for several weeks while also facing many court cases.
Sonko’s lawyer, Evans Ondieki, on Friday morning, March 12, also revealed that a court-ordered medical report shows that the former Nairobi governor is fit to stand trial in his Sh10 million and Sh14 million corruption cases.
Sonko is also facing an assault case at the Kiambu Law Courts and a terrorism case at the Kahawa Law Courts.
Earlier, Sonko’s legal team had told the court that the former governor was mentally not fit to stand trial, seeking the court’s permission to have him travel to South Africa for advanced surgery.
Ondieki said that Sonko is under immense pressure because of the overwhelming number of court cases he is facing.
A Nairobi court had ruled that a medical report on Sonko’s medical status be presented in court on Friday, March 12, after examination from doctors based at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
However, the report was not filed because the magistrate handling the case is unwell.
Despite the failure to file the medical report, Ondieki said that Sonko is mentally stable to proceed with the matters before the court.