A 38-year-old woman charged with robbery with violence after a man she met online and proceeded for a date with him was robbed and tortured overnight inside her house got a reprieve on Wednesday, after the charges were dropped.

Eunice Wambui had been charged with violently robbing Dennis Nyamamba Ntabo of his Samsung phone worth Sh23, 000, an ATM card, a chain worth Sh1,500 and Sh5000 in Kahawa West in Nairobi on May 18, 2020.

She was also accused of transferring Sh15,946 from his Mpesa account. But Ntabo withdrew the charges.

Wambui had been granted a Sh500,000 bond with a surety of similar amount after she denied the charges before Makadara chief magistrate Heston Nyaga on June 22 last year.

However, she has been cooling heels at the Langata Women’s Maximum security prison after failing to meet the bond terms.

Ntabo, a 32 year-old deejay, was delivering some electronics in the area and after it became impossible to beat the 7pm curfew, decided to contact Wambui, requesting that he spends the night at her house, until the following day.

They had fallen in love after meeting on Facebook and had met once in town on a blind date.

She picked him on a boda-boda after he called and took him to her house.

But immediately they walked in, she claimed that she had left keys at her friend’s and while standing outside, four men including one claiming to be Wambui’s husband confronted them, grabbed Ntabo and dragged him into the house, while demanding to know why he was there.

He was later robbed of everything and forced to ask for money from family members and friends which he received through M-pesa before the same was transferred.

Wambui is suspected to have colluded with the thugs to rob her ‘lover’.

During investigations, Ntabo took the police to Wambui’s house and identified items that were in the house when he was being forcibly detained there and the house was listed as a scene of the crime.

Ntabo said he had been compensated for the items and money stolen during the alleged robbery.

None of Wambui’s accomplices have been arrested. Chief magistrate Angelo Kithinji acquitted her after the charges were withdrawn.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here